Lietuvos teatro, muzikos ir kino muziejus
 
The first premises of the Museum, that belonged to the Society of Monument Protection and Regional Studies, were established in the building of the second half of the 17th century, Umiastowski Palace (Trakų g. 2). In the beginning of the ninth decade, it was decided to adopt former Radvilos Minor Palace (Vilniaus g. 41), the building where there was a public theatre of Vilnius since 1795, for the Museum. In 1795-1801, the entrepreneur of the theatre was Dominykas Moravskis. After his death, from 1801 to 1805 the troupe was managed by his wife, Marijana Korvelytė-Moravskienė. In 1805, the theatre was taken over by Motiejus Kažinskis (he managed the theatre until 1810). Some time later, he bought (rented up to that date) Radvilos Palace, and reconstructed it. Various troupes played there in the Radvilos Minor Palace until 1845 (the last play was performed on the 9th of December, 1845).
This architectural monument of the 15th-17th centuries was build connecting five possessions of the Gothic times. In the 17th century, it was a gorgeous palace with a gallery and two-floor arcade in the courtyard facade with masterly integrated Gothic buildings. During the fire in 1748, the palace burned, the side pavilion and the greater part of the gallery fell down. During restoration, the building was adopted to the city theatre (architect Pjetro de Rosis) that was moved from a nearby standing Oskerkai Palace. (In 1785-1790, a Voicech Boguslawsky troupe of actors performed there in the Oskerkai Palace. In the beginning, D. Morawsky troupe was also performing there in the Oskerkai Palace.  In the beginning of the 19th century, the theatre hall was reconstructed. Motiejus Kažinskis changed the layout of the building, decorated it according to Classicistic features. Famous artists of Vilnius were invited there. Event until 1827, Antanas Smuglevičius, Jonas Damelis, and other artists worked there.
In the second half of the 19th century, flats, shops, and a drugstore were equipped there. The building was reconstructed in the beginning of the 20th century (living blocks and warehouses were built there). From 1974 to 1982, the Radvilos Minor Palace belonged to the State Youth Theatre administration.
lt/en
  
Site tree
Print
RSS

Copyright 2009

Lietuvos teatro, muzikos ir kino muziejus

Design creator Lukas Misevičius

Programming Fresh media